Chelita's Mother's Cebiche Recipe
by Chela Leon
- 5 white salt water fish filets (not bottom feeders)
- 4 celery sticks chopped finely
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Rocoto pepper finely chopped (or if available aji limo rojo)
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic chopped finely
- 2 Chinese bowl ( Ikea green bowls) of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 red onion finely sliced, wash with salt then dried before adding to mixture
Mix the lime juice with rocoto, garlic, and salt.
When ready to serve, mix all ingredients, continue to stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
The most important ingredient to having delicious ceviche is FRESH FISH. Don't hesitate to ask your fish vendor to allow you to smell the fish. If it smells fishy or the slightest bit of ammonia, don't bother with it! The fish should smell clear with just the slightest scent of salt water...anything else is probably not fresh!
(Please note: While Chelita uses the "Chinese Bowl" Measurement and we use the "Ikea Green Bowl" measurement, the rest of the world should know that this equates to about 1&1/3 cups each or a total of 2 2/3 cups of freshly squeezed lime juice)
(Additional Note: José prefers to use aji limo rojo, although this is not readily available within the US.)